This is the first in an ongoing series of interior trend boards to inspire spaces for kids. When one of my insta-friends recently mentioned that they were thinking of dino-ing out their son’s nursery it got me thinking…
If your little minor is more into iguanodons than idyllic furry creatures then this is the edit for you, along with my top tips on how to nail the reptilian look without forgoing your interior style.
- If you want to go more T-Rex versus Twee-rex, don’t go full-out minatory, especially when decorating or styling their bedroom. It may be ‘all play’ by day but it needs to be a room for calm when it comes to lights out.
- Avoid going over the top. You don’t need to touch every surface. Sometimes less really is more. Pick 1 or 2 dino themed statement pieces that will accent the room.
- Stick to a colour palette by selecting no more than 3 colours and work within these colour ranges. Make one of your colour choices a strong highlight colour that will compliment the rest of the room.
Shop The Edit
1. Stegasaurus Bookend by Zuny – Available from Cuckooland.com, £44.95
More cute than scary, this bookend is handmade from high quality PU leather and would make a ROARRRing addition to any bookshelf.
2. Geometric Pteranodon Print by Mulk – Available from Not on the Highstreet, £20
This is the handiwork of Gemma Buller, former fashion grad and Mum of 2 young boys. Also check out her other dino prints in the collection.
3. Dinosauria Wallpaper by Mimi & Mae, £70
A feast for the eyes for any dino fan. This wallpaper design has a touch of childhood nostalgia about it. Featuring a whole bunch of hand drawn dinosaurs, it is beautifully printed in the UK on ethically sourced paper.
4. Dinosaur Line Art Print by Charlotte Filshie – Available from Not on the Highstreet, £10
A detailed hand-drawn line art print of dinosaurs getting up to all sorts of stuff from ballet to scuba diving.
5. Large Dinosaur Lampshade by James Barker, £47.50
James and Joana are the talented duo behind London-based lifestyle brand James Barker. This illustrated lampshade is inspired by colours of modern day reptiles.
6. Dino and Roar Prints by Rockwell & Wilde – Available from Not on the Highstreet, £20
A pair of prints featuring their signature origami dino image. Place side by side on a picture shelf.
7. Dinosaurs Toddler Cot Bed Duvet Set by Lulu & Nat, £53
This super soft duvet set is designed in the UK by former children’s fashion designer Lulu Watts. Inspired by vivid printed textiles whilst living in India, all of her designs are screen printed there onto 100% Indian cotton.
8. Tunkun Palm Cushion by P.Westwell, £75
These luxurious cushions are designed and illustrated by London-based artist and motion graphics designer Poppy Ward, whose inspiration is drawn from a colourful childhood growing-up in Malaysia.
9. Origami T-Rex Night Light by Disaster Designs Nordikka – Available from Lisa Angel, £33.50
This paper origami style design makes a great children’s night light.
Noa’s Pick. Dinosaur Cushion by Ella & the Roo, £18.50
And as ever, it is good to get a 2yr old’s eye on such things. Here is Noa’s dino pick. The monochrome T-Rex cushion is perfect for little ones to cuddle up to. This original hand drawn design is screen printed in the South East of England and handmade in Oxfordshire.